Sunday, May 4, 2008

The Adventures of Gunnar Roalsvik

Hello all! Since my life at this point is rather boring, all I'm doing is cleaning and packing and sorting what I'm keeping at Grandma's and what I'm taking home...I've decided to dedicate sometime to a relative of mine who is on an exciting adventure of his own!
My dear old father :P
He's in Norway to be a speaker at a convention. How cool is that? So, here are some of his recent accounts of his adventure thus far...(these are from his emails to his girls. he has no clue i'm doing this...haha)


Friday, May 02, 2008
We were very late leaving Houston. Just got to Newark and caught the scariest electric cart ride ever across the terminal and got to my gate just as they called for elite boarding on my flight, so not even time to use the bathroom before getting on the plane. But I made it. Whew.Excitement.
Have a good night, I hope to sleep on the plane. Very funny recorded instructions being played in Norwegian right now.


Saturday, May 03, 2008
finally got to a computer that i can use here at the Oslo airport hotel. it's almost 8 pm here now, we left Newark only a few minutes late, which I found out was bad when we got here because my rolling garment bag with all my clothes and my jackets did not make it. So i took the express train down to oslo and had to try to find some clothes. they are ridiculously expensive here, i finally foung a real ugly zipper sweatshirt for 12 dollars and two shirts for 20 each. that's all the clothes i have right now besides what I'm wearing and this norwegian keyboard is driving me crazy. i'm going looking for toothpaste and a razor now, might not find them as there is hardly anything here around the hotel off of the airport grounds. this place is way out in the country really the boonies crazy but truly an adventure more later i hope then to bed for the bus ride tomorrow hopefully the hotel at Loen, being a resort hotel, will be more helpfuly, and hopefully my bag will come on tomorrow's plane and Continental will send it on to Loen


Sun, May 4, 2008
Hello from Loen, Norway, at the Alexandra Hotel. We took about 8.5 hours to drive up the main valley of Norway, then west up and up a smaller valley until we were above the trees and only snow and rocks all around, then down thru 3 long tunnels, 4.5km, 4km and 4.5km, then out into another narrow, deep valley and down and around a whole series of switchbacks to the bottom, then followed the snow melt river down to the lake and around the end of another mountain to the fjord and hotel. What a trip. I've take a lot of pictures, 202 so far on a card that holds 999, but my battery is down to only 1/3 and my bag has still not shown up. Thought my spare battery was in there, but wonders! I have my spare battery in my computer bag - so yay! More pictures tomorrow.
Norway looks a lot like Colorado, or western Montana, or Idaho or Washington. The really big valley where the airport is looks more like Minnestoa, pine and birch trees.
And did you know the dandelion is a wildflower? At least over here.
Attached are 3 views to the west, southwest and southeast from my hotel room this evening when I arrived. Also a few views coming down from the snow covered mountain pass.


(the above mentioned pics will be in my next post...in like...a few minutes :P)

No comments: