Saturday, August 18, 2007

Making Myself at Home

This morning I attended a brunch for the 2007-2008 Presidential Scholars. Kind of...silly. lol. Maybe I'm just tired of all the bravado and just want to get started with classes. It was nice to meet some of the deans, one gave me his contact info so I can ask about the education and human development and work it into my major with psych and German.

Yesterday was move in day. Didn't really take too long. I was the first one at CC. My room is cozy. I really love it. It is just big enough for me. I think if I had a roommate it'd be too weird. A little too cramped. ;)

But it feels homey now. I have a lamp, a few stuffed animals, pillows, pictures, it's comforting. And of course books.

The other day, Thursday I guess, we ran into a high school band director when picking up text books at the book store. I had grabbed a small flag with the school logo on it and was spinning it while my dad was on his cell, and I turned around and this guy was watching me. He said, "You must be in color group", granted, that's a weird name for it, but it's close. I was wearing my 2006 Winterguard shirt, so that was a clue too. ;)
I confirmed that I had indeed been a guardie, and he said he was a high school band director, from California, Mission Viejo of all places! his high school marching band comes in second to James Logan in California!
For any band nerd, that was exciting to hear! I knew of James Logan from WGI, so I figured, if their guard is that good, the band must be too.
Anyway, we talked, turns out his son is doing the marching band here. Ran into him at the brunch actually. Nice, and cute. haha
The dad almost convinced me to do guard with the marching band. But...

I was talking to our RA, and mentioned being captain of the guard in high school, and she said her friend was in guard, rifle in spring, flag in fall, and suggested I get into it here. ;)
Maybe winter guard. fall guard is not my thing. ;)

Meeting our neighbors yesterday was a bit silly. People are generally friendly, but, some not. lol.
We went to hear a comedian, who was amazing! He's from down south, so all his humor about how confused a non-native could be up here I could greatly appreciate.

Today at 3 I have some sessions to go to, ugh, all the same stuff over and over again. The only thing I need is the campus tour, just to review what to do before I start my classes. Then again, Monday I have no classes since they don't start till 4 and even then no labs, so I might walk through my schedule a few times.

There will also be a barbeque and concert/dance thing with October Road performing. Never heard of them, but should be good.

well, enough chatter.

No comments: